Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nature

Trail running. Probably not the first thing most people think of when told to go relax. Hmm... And I guess I'm included, most of the time, in "most people."

But in the past three months I've regained a love for trail running that only one who runs trails will ever understand. I can probably at least in vague terms get this love across to those who love nature, who love to hike. But to someone who doesn't like to be outdoors in the first place, well needless to say it's a lost cause.

When you're running trails--when you CAN run trails--it feels much like you own the world. If you're in shape, if you've worked hard toward this activity and are down to a body weight that your legs, lungs and heart can support, there is no feeling like it.

There are times, such as when it gets up into the 90's and beyond, when no matter what shape you're in you suffer. Those aren't the times I'm talking about. I'm talking about those times when it's between 40 and 70 degrees, or if it's over that when the sun has at least gone down behind the hills. Then you're in heaven. You float over those trails lighter than dandelion fluff. You run and run and run and feel like you could run forever.

There is a downside to the running, though. It's hard to really see what's around you. It's hard to take in the smells, the sights and sounds, the feel of the nature around you.

If you haven't been out in the hills of late, I feel sorry for you. Maybe it's especially this particularly wet year. I don't know. But it is so green, so vibrant, so alive. The hummingbirds are a constant, the little warblers and sparrows and finches are a special treat when you can see them. But all of that is hard to see when you're running. I guess that's why God made downhills. My knees don't like them, so many times I'll walk, and that is when, although they say it's not possible, I get to "have my cake and eat it too." Run up, feel the wind in my hair, feel my blood pounding, suck in that clean mountain air. Then walk down as the sun sets and turns the sky into crimson and gold, and now even the dust takes on a smell that I treasure, like that of the sagebrush, the juniper, cottonwood and maple.

True enjoyment is if you make it up high enough to scent the Douglas fir forest. The huge brown trunks tower around you, and the forest floor is thick with needle duff. That smell, in the waning of the day, is better than any perfume. Far better, in my opinion. And when you find yourself in the shade and shelter of those giant Douglas firs, you know that at last you are where God intended you to be.

It is at those times when my thoughts can turn to men like Jim Driever and Dan Gilbert, who spent years of their lives confined to a wheel chair, unable to be out in nature. This is something to be witnessed if you can, my friends. These times when you are able to move about freely, to experience the woods with all your senses, these are the times you should not let pass you by. If you are stressed, if you are weary, if you are ready to give up, the woods, the trails, all of nature will renew you. Give it a chance. Don't miss out on one of God's greatest gifts.

See you down the trail.

Kirby Jonas

2 comments:

  1. I've just read some of this blog and the bit that got me was the last couple of sentences. Now, hope you'll forgive me here, I'm not a church goer although a long time ago as I walked past a local church a woman was working in the garden and I passed a comment, can't remember what it was now, but she replied in the vain that people like to sit and think a while in the garden and that got me thinking, when I want time alone, time to reflect, to relax I used to go to our local woods with my dog, it is so peaceful amongst the trees listening to the bird song, watching the squirrels play and if I'm lucky a deer, my favourite time was Easter when the trees are blossoming and the spring flowers are abundant especially the English bluebell, they are there in abundance, a sea of blue amongst the trees and then the sun might shine and it is like the sky is on the ground, and then I'd find a log and sit awhile, sometimes, Tim, my dog would forage a bit and sometimes he would sit by me but I thoroughly enjoyed those times, so you are right Kirby, the woods and trails will renew as do the mountains and coastlines even when you stand in solitude on an outcrop of rocks above the seashore with the sea crashing on those rocks in a summer storm, there is a feeling of being at one with nature and all your worries and stress melt away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know they say ignorance is bliss... I used to walk during the day and at night oblivious to the fact that I live in a area that has cougars, bobcats, coyotes and bears. Since I have learned these things it really has taken the pleasure of solitary walking by myself away. Why? Because quite frankly I am afraid of those critters. The coyotes and bobcats I have seen, a local news paper warned residents about the bears coming down to eat by the river. I read when we don't hear the coyotes that means the cougars are in the area. Thrilling! NOT!!!!!!! At least not for me. But most definitely I would love to do this again if I felt safe enough to do it. Right now I am not brave enough....I do have to say it is fun when I feel safe...

    ReplyDelete